Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Vision 20/20?
- A process for discerning what God wants us to be and do.
- “Appreciative Inquiry:” identifies and builds on an organization’s strengths.
What Are the Goals of Vision 20/20?
- Clarify the congregation’s unique identity and giftedness.
- Determine areas of focus to build upon the congregation’s current strengths.
- Determine areas for future missions and ministry.
- Develop ministry goals and action plans to guide the congregation in fulfilling its calling during the next 3-5 years.
Why Are We Doing It?
- We have changed.
- Our community has changed.
- The world has changed.
Who Is Facilitating Vision 20/20?
How Are We Paying for It?
- The Deacons authorized spending up to $10,000 from undesignated funds that were not part of the operating budget.
Will the Consultant Tell Us What to Do?
- NO! The consultant and leadership team together will design and implement a process through which the congregation will discern God’s will for us for the next few years.
How Was the Leadership Team Chosen?
- Church members were asked to nominate up to three people they would trust to serve on the leadership team. Thirty-eight people were nominated.
- The Deacon Officers took the list of nominees and worked prayerfully to create a pool that reflects the diversity of the congregation.
Who are the members of the Leadership Team?
- Paul Lewis, Chair
- Jay Davis
- Helen Dunwody
- Keith Gammons
- Anne Heath
- Rachel Huston
- Girard Jones
- Pam Kent
- Jean Trotter
- Allen London, Ex Officio
- Jake Hall, Ex Officio
What Is the Role of the Leadership Team?
- Attend a day-long orientation at the beginning of the process
- Attend a writing retreat at the end of the process
- In consultation with the Dr. Wilson, design opportunities for the entire congregation to participate in the process.
- Process the information gathered from those events and communicate the results to the congregation.
What Will the Process Entail?
- Individual interviews
- Congregational meetings
- Forum with community leaders.
How Long Will It Last?
Takeaways: Vision 20/20 is
- A process not a program.
- A matter of spiritual discernment.
- The work of the entire congregation.